Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Rock Princess Birthday Card

Hello.  It has been a couple of weeks since I last posted in my blog.  I blame the kickboxing classes I have been taking, because I haven't felt like writing after having class from 7-8, then having to shower and eat dinner.  Luckily my boyfriend cooks because it means I don't have to cook dinner along with all that!

Anyway, on the 18th my oldest niece (also my goddaughter) turned 7!  I cannot believe that happened, but it did.  If you know any young girls these days, chances are you know someone who is into Monster High.  I can think of at least 3 little girls I know who have had Monster High birthday parties in the past two years.  I knew I wanted to make her a card to fit that theme.

One of the first cartridges I bought when I got my Cricut was Rock Princess, because it has so many similarities to the Monster High line.  It's got hearts, and stars, and skulls, along with many other girly/creepy things.  I knew I would be able to use it a lot for the Monster High fans in my life. Here is the card I made with it:


Last year for Christmas, my boyfriend and I made a Monster High doll house for this same niece [emphasis on the my boyfriend.  It would have never happened without him.  But that is a story for another post].  The two patterned papers were left over from that project, as was the black glitter paper used for the eyes and noses of the skulls.  Actually, now that I think about it I think the hot pink card stock was from that project too.  The lighter pink embossed paper was left from the Nifty Fifties birthday card that never came to be.

Rather than trying to cut, wrangle, and glue itsy-bitsy sprinkles to the cupcake, I used the hearts from where the eyes were cut out.  "But Kelsey," you may say, "you have 6 small hearts and only 4 eye sockets. How can that be?"  Ahh, you see, I cut one of the skulls wrong, it overlapped where something else had already been cut out of white card stock and had to be cut again.  Nothing can ever be simple.


For the inside I used the Cricut Craft Room and the font from the Life's A Party Cartridge welded together to say "Happy Birthday Lauren!"  Short and sweet, in my opinion.


I made a couple of decorations for her party also, but I will get to those in my next post.  This was the first project I made using my new Cricut Expression.  I like how it came out.  Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment