Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Birthday Cake Card

Hello! It's been a little while since I posted a new entry.  I meant to write a couple of days ago but I've had a small stomach bug.  I am feeling better now.  :)

July 1st was my mom's best friend's birthday.  As I am a craptastic crafter, I've been using every occasion to practice my skills.  (I got my Cricut in January and didn't have a successful project until June. Which I did not photograph.  So craptastic.)  So, I made her a birthday card using my Cricut Personal Cutting Machine and the Simply Charmed cartridge.

I had originally planned on using the bowl of strawberries from the cartridge saying something like, "have a berry sweet birthday."  I just think the strawberries are so cute!  But my mom's best friend has a notorious sweet tooth, so I decided to go with what is near and dear to her heart, and use the birthday cake.  I also cut the "happy birthday" phrase from Simply Charmed.  I already had the pink embossed paper from Michael's.  I planned on using it for a poodle skirt for a birthday party, but got the date wrong and didn't have time to make it. (A very craptastic move indeed!) I used a pink ballpoint pen to add detail.  I especially love how it looks on the yellow cake.  I used a Sharpie pen to go over the small faces in the "happy birthday."  Here is an image of the front:


For the inside, I used the Cricut Classic Font in the Cricut Craft Room on my computer to make the word "now."  I then added it to the phrase "cut the cake" from the Simply Charmed cartridge.  As I've said before, I really, really love this cartridge.  Take a look at the inside:



I'm pretty happy with how this card came out.  I browse a lot of Cricut projects on Pinterest and the Cricut.com forums, and I've noticed they almost always use embossed paper.  This was my first time using it, and I think it adds to the project.  It feels like I'm heading in the right direction.  Maybe some day I'll get a Cuttlebug, so I can just emboss paper on my own instead of having go out to buy it every time.  We'll see...

I'm very excited because I just expanded my Cricut collection!  I won a pink Cricut Expression on eBay!  It came with 3 new cartridges (Pink Journey, Plantin Schoolbook, and Accent Essentials) and a 12x12 cutting mat.  I'm not sure these cartridges are ones I would have bought on my own, but I ended up getting such a good deal.  I won this whole bundle for only $55!  The package came in today, and I'm very excited to play with it.  I'm having a Craft Night with my mom and a couple of friends this Friday, and it will probably make its debut then.  I'll have to share whatever project I make that night. :)

2 comments:

  1. What a cute card! Thanks for sharing! And congrats on your fantastic eBay deal!

    ReplyDelete